All dogs over 3 months of age must be registered.
How to register your dog
Fill in the dog registration form and provide it to Lakes Environmental, Private Bag 50072, Queenstown 9348, along with the correct fee.
>> Dog registration form (pdf 158kb)
What does it cost?
|Category||Fee||Fee (if paid after 1 August)|
|Guide/companion/hearing ear dog||Nil||Nil|
|All other dogs||$70||$105|
|Permit to keep more than two dogs on a property||$150||$150|
What do the registration fees cover?
- Administration of the registration process, including the collection of fees.
- Providing information to dog owners.
- Signage and furniture for dog exercise areas.
- Enforcement (but not prosecution).
New Payment options
This year you will be able to pay online through Lakes Environmental's website using the new online payment button on the home page.
You can also pay through any of these following methods:
• Online through the website using your credit card
• In Person – by visiting our reception at: 74 Shotover Street Queenstown or Wanaka office 33-35 Reece Crescent, and pay by Cash, Credit Card or Cheque.
• Direct credit into our bank account 02 0948 0211515 00 REF: your owner number
• Post - a cheque to our offices
However you chose to pay for your dog registration, please ensure that you return your signed registration form in the pre-paid envelope posted out with registrations papers.
Neutered dog discounts
Council works hard to promote responsible dog ownership and reduce incidents of straying and unwanted dogs. Responsible dog ownership is recognised with a reduced registration fee for neutered dogs.
Legislation introduced in 2006 means that all newly registered dogs must also be microchipped. Visit the Department of Internal Affairs website to find out more.